Quick SIM Card Rundown:
All GSM based wireless devices utilize a SIM (subscriber identity module) card that not only activates the device itself, but effectively registers the users phone to a particular network. SIM cards store information such as customer ID, phone number, carrier name, network ID, etc. It is worth noting that CDMA devices which employ LTE technology also utilize SIM cards for the LTE network specifically. Since the creation of the very first “credit card” sized 1FF SIM in 1991 to the now ubiquitous Nano-SIM, all SIM cards have been physical items that manually get inserted into compatible devices.
What Is eSIM Technology:
Though developed in 2016, wireless device manufactures have been very slow to implement the newest generation of SIM technology into their devices…The eSIM. Put simply, the ‘e’ in eSIM stands for “embedded” which eliminates the need for a removable card but rather consists of software preinstalled onto an eUICC chip permanently attached to a device. That essentially means that eSIM’s are designed to replace old-fashioned physical SIM cards by allowing users to digitally toggle between different carriers or multiple phone numbers directly from their single device. No more carrying multiple SIM cards, removing batteries, ejecting SIM slot doors, etc.
Despite a handful of eSIM compatible devices to hit market since 2016, the vast majority of North American device options have predominantly still employed older Nano-SIM technology. With the recent release of the iPhone 14, consumers are now seeing a drastic swing in mobile device manufacturing. The iPhone 14 will no longer give users an option for a physical Nano-SIM but rather require the use of eSIM technology. Let’s take a look a some pros and cons surrounding the exclusive use of eSIM.
- Leverage multiple wireless carriers without buying multiple devices.
- Utilize multiple phone numbers on one device. (I.E. Personal and business numbers)
- If you subscribe to multiple carriers, you can stay connected by choosing the carrier with better coverage in a low coverage area.
- Install between 5 – 8 eSIM’s per device. (depending on device)
- eSIM can be activated simply by scanning a QR code that registers your eSIM profile with your mobile network.
- With the absence of a physical SIM card taking up space in a device, phone manufactures are able to offer increased functionality such as improved battery life, better processor, etc.
- International travel is simplified by eliminating the need to purchase a foreign SIM card for your trip.
- Changing devices is more complicated and time consuming. Instead of quickly swapping your old SIM into a new device, your eSIM profile would need to be retrieved and downloaded from the cloud.
- eSIM technology is not fully supported by every international and domestic carrier as of yet which could decrease your service options.
- In the event of a cloud based server breach, your eSIM data is directly susceptible to hackers.
- Once provisioned and connected to a network, an eSIM is always “on” which makes it far more trackable than a physical SIM card which can be removed from a device.
What Does eSIM Mean For Enterprise Mobility:
Since many eSIM capable devices can now support up to 8 eSIM profiles, your business can reduce the amount of devices it purchases for a singular user. Some businesses are even opting to convert their wireline desk phone numbers to eSIM’s in order to support their increasing remote workforce. Unfortunately, enterprise device cost savings and wireline equipment savings will ultimately be overshadowed by the increased cost of additional carrier plans and data usage for employees utilizing all of these new eSIM profiles. Admins will find it increasingly more difficult to manually manage enterprise mobility programs because of the increased number of carriers utilized, data plan options, profiles per device, and phone numbers. End user requests to change wireless devices will also become more time consuming with the increased eSIM cloud transfer processes. In general, eSIM’s may present more intense challenges than businesses may have considered or budgeted for.
Mobil(X) Mitigates Overages & End User Requests:
Mobil(X), the industry’s only Wireless Expense Management (WEM) Solution built on Azure, INTERPRETS & REDUCES your monthly wireless charges by utilizing machine learning technology and real-time data pool management while custom API’s IMPLEMENT savings directly with your wireless carrier(s). Not only does Mobil(X) mitigate monthly expenses, built in data monitoring will see data usage trending upward in real time and automatically place wireless devices on correct wireless plans based on ACTUAL usage. Alerts will be sent out to IT personnel to indicate that your wireless devices are approaching data thresholds. Utilizing Mobil(X), orders for new or upgraded devices can be shipped directly to the end user, eliminating the need for your department to be the middleman. All devices are set up with the end user’s information and documented, so you will know exactly where each device is allocated. If the user is required to send in their device to a centralized depot, Mobil(X) will ensure that users follow designated corporate guidelines and mobile policies. Furthermore, duties such as troubleshooting and repairs are managed by Mobil(X). Everything regarding your devices is documented, so there is never confusion as to its status or whereabouts. If there are specific apps or settings your company configures for user devices, those can be configured before deployment. The end user will receive a device that’s ready to go!
Founded in 2001, GoExceed is recognized as an industry leader in Wireless Expense Management (WEM) solutions. We service over 1.5+ million enterprise wireless devices per year and our clients range from mid-size businesses to Fortune 500 companies. Our comprehensive suite of management solutions has revolutionized the way companies manage their wireless accounts, devices, users, costs, data, cost centers, contracts, policies, and more. We firmly believe that innovation is not only the key to our success, but essential in an ever-changing wireless landscape across the world. GoExceed empowers businesses with real-time reporting and analytics, enabled by Microsoft Power BI, in order to proactively reduce time, money, and resources. Your success is what drives our passion for technology and innovation.
Ready To Get Started?
Automate your cellular environment, get Mobil(X) today.
Your privacy is assured.
All data and personal information is kept behind our secure firewall. We never share any data or information with any 3rd party.